CAPTAIN CHARLES W. BAKER, MEDICAL SERVICE CORPS, U.S. NAVY (RET)

Capt Charles W. BAKER, MSC, USN (Ret) attended Dallas Center, Iowa public schools and worked for AT&T Long Lines from 1956 until enlisting in the Navy in October 1959. After IC "A" School at San Diego, CA. he served at NAS Alameda and aboard USS Walke (DD 723) before selection to the Naval Enlisted Scientific Education Program (NESEP) in 1962. He attended the University of Idaho, graduating in 1966 with concurrent BS and MS degrees in Chemistry. He was commissioned through OCS in March 1967. Capt Baker served as the Engineering Officer aboard USS Pledge (MSO-492) until Oct 1968, including a deployment to Vietnam. In October 1968, Capt Baker was recommissioned in the Medical Service Corps as an Industrial Hygienist and assigned to Navy Environmental and Preventive Medicine Unit (EPMU-2) Norfolk, VA. In 1973, he was transferred to EPMU-7 in Naples, Italy as the first Navy Industrial Hygienist supporting the Mediterranean and Europe. From 1976 until 1980 he was the Surgeon General's Industrial Hygiene Program Manager at the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (BUMED) and the Specialty Advisor for Industrial Hygienists to the Chief, Medical Service Corps. While at BUMED, Capt Baker completed requirements for the Master of Education degree in General Education from Boston University through a program begun in Italy. From 1980 until 1984, he was the industrial hygienist at Submarine Base, Bangor WA when the base became operational. In 1984 he assumed duties as the Director, Navy Occupational Safety and Health Inspection Program (NOSHIP) Oversight Inspection Unit at the Navy Environmental Health Center, Norfolk, VA with additional duty to the Navy Inspector General. He was ordered to Field Medical Service School, Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton, CA as Executive Officer in April 1987 and was the Commanding Officer from 17 May 1989 until 27 June 1991. Capt Baker served as Officer in Charge, Navy Environmental & Preventive Medicine Unit No. 5 in San Diego, CA from 9 July 1991 until 10 June 1994. He assumed command of the Naval School of Health Sciences San Diego on 24 June 1994, and retired on 1 October 1996 with 37 years continuous active duty.

BACK to the "Crew List"